Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week 6

An entire wave of emotion has set in for this week.  Words cannot describe how sad I am that more than 50% of my time here is completely over.  Time is a funny thing you know; everyone spends their days worrying about having enough time to do something or wishing it away so they can move onto something else, and then poof.  It's gone and everything you waited for or all that time you wished away can't come back.

Last Sunday was a little weird.  I was starving so I walked to McDonald's to get food, alone.  Alone is fine, it's just McDonald's and you aren't allowed to take more than thirty minutes to eat your food inside anyway; on the way out, I saw that there were three homeless men just sitting outside.  None of them asked me for money, asked me for help, harassed me, anything.  Recognizing that the number of homeless people here in DC is high, I was also humbled.  I asked the three of them if they had eaten dinner and let them order whatever they wanted--no, they didn't order the largest thing on the menu.  They asked for something off the dollar menu and I went home knowing that I had just left three people very happy for the night.  Regardless of your opinions on homeless people, you never know the situation.  Help out where you can because good karma is a thing.  Later, I realized how much I miss being surrounded by familiarity and a constant support group; naturally, I called someone from home and I finally thought I was all right...only to have a rat run across my foot.  Yes, a rat.  I'm talking a rat the size of the rats in the Nutcracker.  Nonetheless, I wasn't devoured and I'm alive and well.

Monday was the start of a new week though, so as always we're gonna knock this blog out in one swift move (based on 7 days...) and this entire week.  Monday was busy but great, I actually got to meet with someone who works in intel and research at State.  He was really cool, very young, and pretty down to earth.  We knocked out the obvious questions during our conversation together--he's from New York, I'm from Oklahoma, it was culture shock for him to even listen to me talk.  I learned the following from the conversation: 
It's dangerous to even acknowledge someone you don't know on the metro--literally, don't even smile at them.
I might want to work in intel and research someday.  I've never met someone so young but SO full of knowledge.
The people in DC are supposedly (I REALLY don't understand this one) nicer than they are in New York...New York must be a miserable place.
Anyway, he also gave me my favorite piece of advice that I've heard since I've been here: You cannot make a decision for your future today, based on an idea that you have of what tomorrow might bring to the table.  
Needless to say, it was a really great lunch.  I had class on Monday night, got out early, only to wait on a bus for over an hour.  Basically, I would've rather sat in class for another hour than have waited outside in a dark, humid bus stop of DC.

Tuesday wasn't super exciting or anything--I did meet some REALLY great people at a happy hour inside State though, all while we enjoyed the soccer game.  I really enjoyed the discussion in my Native Nations class.  Yeah yeah, super nerdy, I know, but you don't realize how relevant Native Americans SHOULD be, but absolutely are not, in today's society.  Every time I'm in class, I realize that I'm surrounded by some of the most intelligent people that I have ever met and some employer out there is missing out.  Another piece of advice I got that is not only relevant when writing, but also just for life in general:
Say what you're gonna say, say it, then tell them what you said; shout out to Peter Morris (my professor) for doing the most.  Seriously, what an awesome person.
I also had another relevant conversation later that night about my future and let me tell you, I get so worked up about my future that I could talk about it for hours.  So naturally, when someone asks me about my future, I catch myself getting overexcited and talking too much; yet another piece of advice (I'm full of advice from this week) from some relevant person in my life: 
Don't be embarrassed by the things you're passionate about.  Thanks for the pep talk Logan, appreciate you too.

Wednesday was exciting.  I was given the opportunity to go to a meeting inside of USAID and what a seriously insane building; it's nice to see the other side of foreign aid too, within different agencies and what not.  I also found out that I have been presented with a chance to go tour the White House sometime this week and that is SO exciting.  Someone I know who works within the White House has gotten us a tour and that's insane.  Also--heat index on Wednesday was 109 degrees so if you think Oklahoma is bad...well, at least y'all aren't all dressed up and walking around because walking and public transit is your only means of getting anywhere.  I caught myself thanking the good Lord above that I'm a girl because dresses might be uncomfortable, but a full black suit and tie when it's that hot outside?  Eh, hard pass...

Thursday was basically nothing.  I went to work, met up with my favorite FSO for some coffee and a chat about the week, then basically did a few things until lunch and my office let me go at 1 PM.  Lesson of the day: no one in DC does anything, no matter what entity you might be working for, on July 3.  I came home, took the longest nap of my life, enjoyed a solid dinner at Five Guys with Arthur and Lester, then hung out with my OU friends the remainder of the night.  

Friday--FOURTH OF JULY!  Day parties everywhere.  I had such a blast; you don't know how much you love America until you've spent the Fourth of July here.  I'm dead serious.  It's wonderful.  Alexa and Maddie, you all rock for spending the day with me.  After some fries and a milkshake, I wandered to the mall with Alexa and we watched the show.  The day was so long that we came back and chilled until Maddie got back--then walked to McDonald's.  Things are a little different in DC y'all.  Walking anywhere at dark in DC is a little dangerous if not terrifying.  Needless to say, it was an experience and the Southern mentality of "give everyone the benefit of the doubt" that I have grown up with all my life is now out the window.  You live and you learn though.





Saturday was a new day.  Kyle is gone (crying) so then...there was four.  We went to the pool for part of the afternoon and then came back, snacked, and I ended up going to my dad's.  What a good decision because I ate my body weight in peel and eat shrimp, rice, and cheesecake all while enjoying a World Cup game.  I love Blue Ridge--best place to just relax and literally put DOWN some seafood.



Sunday, thank goodness, is wrapping up already.  This weekend has been so long and great, but I'm actually very ready to be back at work.  I had a solid day with my pops, driving around in the Camaro and then experiencing my first ever "authentic" Chinese restaurant.  If any of you ever get the chance to go to Peking Gourmet Inn...wow.  I have never put down that much food in my life.  



So to wrap up all the miscellaneous things I've learned this week:
The idea of a "Southern Gentleman" is actually a joke.  They're one in a bazillion and don't believe that just because one holds the door open for you that they were raised right--my dog has more manners than half of the men out here, lolz.
Every good story starts with a tinder match.
I could probably start a successful show called "Dammit Clegg" with all the moments in my lifetime that someone has said that to me--the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Texas can't actually secede, so jokes on all of you Texans who think "TEXAS FOREVER" is actually a thing.
Finally, when you're feeling down and all that crap...suck it up.  Life could be worse and in the next six months, whatever is bothering you now will probably be irrelevant. 

Onto the next four weeks, let's hope life slows down a little.

Until then, thanks for keeping up.

The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.
-Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment