Monday, May 26, 2014

DC: Night 1

Okay, so I guess I should start this thing by addressing what I'm doing and why I'm in Washington, D.C. for the summer

In October, I applied for an internship position with the State Department.  Being only 19 at the time, it was more of a way for me to start getting used to applying and getting my name out on the job market rather than getting the job, although the latter would have obviously been a perk; but January came around and I got the email that yes, I did receive the (unpaid) internship with the Department of State.  Immediately, I knew that it was where I wanted to be and it was going to be an unforgettable experience, on top of the best part of all--being able to get my foot in the door.  I will be working for 10 weeks here in Washington, D.C. for the Western Hemisphere Programs' bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs.  I know, a total mouthful and it even makes you forget that I'm working with the State Department, but I am.

Today, I finished the move into the Delta Gamma house here at George Washington (thanks dad).  It would probably be really cool....if anyone else had moved in yet.  But I do believe that I am one of maybe three girls that has and I have yet to meet the others, nonetheless lay eyes on them.  That is perfectly all right though, I mean, I'm gonna be here for ten weeks, that's plenty of time!  Right...?

Also, I should note that the East Coast is full of people that are not so full of "Southern hospitality", it's definitely something to get used to.

Ugh, I couldn't be more excited but God bless it I am so nervous.  On top of the nerves, I can honestly say I have no idea where in the world I am at here in D.C. and let's just say it doesn't seem like the kind of place where I would like to be lost.  Hahaha.  So here I am, for the next ten weeks, living the dream.  Wish me luck and I'll keep this updated as much as I can!  As usual, I'll leave y'all with a quote:

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment